Sunday Evening Musings

Work slapped me around pretty good last week. I worked a solid 9 hours each day.

I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but I’m a programmer. It is mentally exhausting to write code for hours on end. Imagine focusing on completing a complicated 1000 piece puzzle all day long. And completion of that puzzle pays your bills. You don’t get to go read your favorite blogs or email your friends. Or even eat lunch in peace without working on that damn puzzle. Maybe you might have some meetings with other people about how to get said important puzzle done faster and better, but nothing else. Tiring. Friday, I finally saw some rays of hope that my team might get what we need done by the deadline. I even did my tempo run at lunch after seeing how much progress was made by mid-day. We’ll see how this week shapes up.

This morning I did 14 easy miles down the coast…

…and then rewarded myself with an enormous cup of froyo with a Groupon and now, my friends, I am paying for it. I’m mildly lactose intolerant and I sometimes forget that large amounts of dairy don’t work for me. It was so good though. Sigh. I’ll have to settle for half what I got next time if I don’t want to gas my husband and dogs out of the house.

After the yogurt gorging we did our weekly grocery shopping and found that my new place, formerly Boney’s, did not have as crazy a deals as last week. Prices were still decent, but clearly last week was part of the grand re-opening. I did pick up 6 bottles of Crane Lake Petite Syrah for 3/$10. This usually mediocre label actually has a good 2009 Petite Syrah. If you can find it, grab it. It’s worth $3.33. Heck, it tastes like a $9 bottle.

I also managed to almost leave Fresh and Easy without paying. The checkout attendant was all kinds of hyper having me fill out the mailing list card that when my credit card swipe didn’t go through I didn’t realize it and walked out (since if it’s less than $50 you don’t even sign, so I didn’t think twice). As we were pulling out of the parking spot, he came running out to let me know I had to complete my transaction, apologizing for distracting me. That guy needs a doobie. Apparently there is too much stress working the self-checkout.

And in case you are curious, here is the training plan I have devised through to the Hobble Creek Half on 8/21. I have two runs of 16 miles. Not sure if I will go that crazy, that’s nearly marathon training kind of mileage…

Comments

  1. ummm...where did you find a groupon for FroYo?

    I'm sort of a (fake) programmer too! SQL queries are 40% of my job. Now I'm really curious what programming you do....nerds unite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randomly, I love this post just for your amazing description of programmers. I'm married to one and I don't think I 'got it' until I just read that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts